A Collaborative Law Firm
Dedicated To Personalized Service
Michael B. Smith
Current Employment Position
- General Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Law
- Municipal Law
Michael B. Smith was raised in Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania. He became a partner in the firm of Hummel, Lewis & Smith, LLP in 2016. Attorney Smith is the firm's litigator, and his primary focus is insurance defense litigation. He also represents individuals and corporations in various complex civil litigation matters and has a proven track record representing injured individuals in personal injury cases.
Mike is the only attorney with offices in Columbia and Northumberland Counties to be certified as a Life Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers, comprising fewer than one percent of practicing attorneys in the United States. Membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum is limited to those attorneys who have secured a verdict or settlement on behalf of a client in the amount of Two Million Dollars, or more.
Attorney Smith cares about the community. He served as the Treasurer for a Cub Scout Pack associated with the Columbia-Montour Council of the Boy Scouts of America from 2009-2013. As a member of the Rotary Club of Mount Carmel, he was the Vice President from 2013-2014 and served as President from 2014-2016. He is a member of the Kulpmont Knights of Columbus and the Valley Gun & Country Club in Elysburg. He performs pro bono legal work for a number of local non-profit organizations.
Attorney Smith proudly serves as solicitor for Mount Carmel Borough, Mount Carmel Municipal Authority, Kulpmont-Marion Heights Joint Municipal Authority, Benton Municipal Water and Sewer Authority, Greenwood Township, Greenwood Township Municipal Authority, Millville Borough Zoning Hearing Board, and Montour Township.
Attorney Smith graduated magna cum laude from Bloomsburg University with a bachelor's degree in Business Economics and cum laude from Widener University School of Law. At Widener, Attorney Smith was selected as a member of the Trial Advocacy Honor Society, having exhibited excellence in the art of trial advocacy.
Attorney Smith resides in the Mount Carmel area with his wife, Meghan, and his son, Michael.
- Widener University School of Law, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 2006
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Trial Advocacy Team
- Bloomsburg University, Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
- B.S. - 2003
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: Business Economics
- California, 2007
- Pennsylvania, 2007
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Trial Advocacy Honor Society, 2005 - 2006
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Classes & Seminars
Fraternities or Sororities
Certified Legal Specialties
- Schuylkill County Bar Association, Member, 2007 - 2008
- Columbia/Montour County Bar Association, 2008 - Present, Member; Vice President, January 2010 - December 2011; Delegate to the House of Delegates
- Northumberland County Bar Association, Member, 2020 - Present
- Law Offices of Jennifer M. Honey, Associate, 2006 - 2007
- The Hon. John E. Domalakes, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, Law Clerk, 2007 - 2008